{OSBWK logo}

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home Page

Hunt History

The Country

The Hounds

News & events

Merchandising

Jorrocks Hunt Club

Going Hunting

Hunt Advertisements

Contacts & useful links

Hunt History

The Old Surrey Burstow and West Kent Hunt was formed on 1st May 1999 with the amalgamation of the Old Surrey & Burstow foxhounds with the West Kent foxhounds.

The Old Surrey & Burstow

The Burstow date as a foxhound pack from 1866, having previously existed as a harrier pack. Having been kenneled at Poundhill from 1904 until 1909, the pack moved to Felbridge in 1909.

The Old Surrey & Burstow was itself formed in 1915 by the amalgamation of the Old Surrey foxhounds and the Burstow foxhounds, the kennels remaining at Felbridge, where the hounds have been ever since. click here for Jack Champion's obituary

The West Kent

The West Kent hounds date back to 1776 when John Warde hunted hounds from Squerries on the edge of Westerham. More recently the West Kent hounds were kenneled at Walters Green near Penshurst when Tim Lyle took the Mastership in 1980. Hounds remained here close to the Point to Point course until the amalgamation in 1999.

For a more detailed history of both packs, books have been written detailing their histories:

  • Hunting in West Kent 1617-1999, An Anthology - by Peter Webb
  • A Portrait of Jorrocks Country - by John Robson
On the first ever visit by West Kent hounds to the Peterborough Hound Show, the bitch West Kent "Payment" became the Champion Hound, also being the first ever champion from a two day a week pack. More recently the hounds won the two couple class at Ardingly in 2003 and hopefully in the years to come more will follow! click here for Stan Luckhurst's obituary

This document maintained by webmaster@osbwk.co.uk.
Material Copyright © 2007 OSBWK